Saturday, April 24, 2010

Proposal

ABSTRACT
This work is a self-exploration into instances of isolation, turmoil, and joy, and how they feed one another and flow together.

OVERVIEW
I often feel like my true human spirit and body is repressed by social structures, automated systems, then detached as a result of our communication technology. The abundance of electronic social networking and telecommunication makes my relationships virtual and distant. These relationships to people, become relationships to machines and computing, and my isolation boils into aggravation. It is through this anger and turmoil that I am able to smash out - through my expression of violence, I can release this rage. This brings me back to my raw human condition - bringing me back to my flesh, and clearing way for my ability to love. It is in love that I am free. I am using two human characters to represent different stages - the male performs the state of turmoil then transforms into a free being, represented by the female.

The crowds swarm in the world around me, whispering a language I cannot understand, looking at me with expressions I cannot decode. I reach out for a connection, but they remain in a mist of distance – I am becoming smaller, the darkness bigger. The more of them there are, the more alone I am. My fellow human beings loose their form becoming one distorted mass of noise and soulless automation – their whispers become an engine, their bodies a machine that surrounds me. My detachment from the social umbilical causes my anger to build. I am a wild organism that is shackled to the structures of Society. My spirit becomes more restless the longer I remain in the machine. My spirit forms a rage strong enough to shatter the physical world – this wild rage suddenly spews from my body, casting away the industrial form that surrounds me. The tentacles of technology reach for me again, but my flesh fends-off their strike. My fury is released and freedom appears in its place. The heat of my frenzy cools, and I have departed from the rigid grip of human construct. I am moving like life now, joy builds, and my body is loose – free to move. Clearness comes, and I am a channel of light and love in nature. The Sun’s light creates her, warms her, and she runs free through the Earth’s natural beauty. She is love, her eyes look into me and pull the darkness away.

TIMELINE
My project was approved by CARTAH, so I was able to reserve all the necessary equipment early on. This will also add incentive to make sure I’m prepared during each stage of production.

WEEK 3: Finishing IDEATION, shoot test footage

WEEK 4: Storyboard/script, hire/meet actors, shoot initial scenes with male

WEEK 5: Schedule/prepare for female shoot, plan effects shots

WEEK 6: Shoot female scenes, schedule shoot for faces, audio recording for turmoil

WEEK 7: Audio recording for isolation, shoot faces and human figure for isolation

WEEK 8: Audio recording, effects photography and video

WEEK 9-10: Pick-up video/audio, Post-production

BUDGET
Stage Rental: $650/day x 4 days (hourly rates avg. $140/hour) LINK
Camera Rental: $70/day x 8 days LINK
Light Kit Rental: $35/day x 8 days
Audio Rental: $15/day x 8 days
Effects Materials: Machine Junk $100
Talent: $50/hour x 9 hours (3 hrs Male, 3 hrs Female, 3 hrs pick-up)
Craft: $20/day x 8 days
Screening Space: $250 for 4 hours
TOTAL: $4520.00


STORYBOARDS

BACKGROUND

Edvard Munch was able to express himself by painting hmself or characters in different situations - each painting has a story that in combination with imagery, communicates his psychological state. Munch use of color, abstraction, and simple narrative is important to my piece.

Terry Gilliam's Brazil is a reference work because it explores the haunting presence of technology and civilization, and a human being wrestling to escape it all. In the end, love wins, and the machine crumbles, and not only is this concept moving, the imagery is great reference for this piece.

Artists like Picasso, Matisse, Ingmar Bergman, David Lynch, and Edvard Munch, have developed an individual voice n their work, and this is the most important referential material.

REFERENCE

EDVARD MUNCH Spring, Jealousy

INGMAR BERGMAN

PABLO PICASSO Process 

MATISSE

PRESENTATION

This is a video/audio piece to be looped on a monitor with speakers.

FABRICATION

Although this work does not have an installation feature, I will need to craft several things for the effects.  I will be creating green sheets of paper that I can shoot different colors being painted on in real-time - creating layers of media that I can composite over the imagery.  I will also be constructing the machine elements with various electrical components and scrap metal, and I will have to make special wiring to use as the tentacles.

No comments:

Post a Comment