Saturday, April 10, 2010

Dr. Tool Vs. Mr. Art

There are many ways to generalize about the artistic process, and define specific systems of media creation. In our department, I have seen varied approaches - some artists explore the tools and find artistic vision through experiments, and some carve their statements with the tools after establishing a vision. What comes first: the pencil or the concept?
The issue is not black and white - research in technology and searching for something to say, weave in and out of each other. Interesting ideas glow while testing technology, and technology colors the concepts, but there is a dialogue - there is a conversation happening, and snowballing.
I am taking advantage of this moment in my life to examine my own process, and learn how to channel the creative juices into a more distinct stream of experiences. I want to look deeper at what I want to say.
PROJECT IDEA: The raw natural emotions of our masses are being restricted by our use of automated systems of communication, convenience, and our aversion. I want to cut a hole in this confinement, and let the anger, sadness, joy, and peace pour out.
Concerning my own process right now, it is apparent through this blog that I splatter buckets of conceptual directions onto the wall, and find the good morsels after the dregs drip out.
Back to the drawing board...

No comments:

Post a Comment