Sunday, April 18, 2010

Project


I will portray four basic inner states of the human being, using audio/video tools to explore an Expressionist approach. I am most interested in how areas like Isolation, Fear, Rage, and Fulfillment are present to us today, and how I can use digital media to express these conditions, as artists used their tools at the turn of the century. I am fascinated by what Expressionist artists might have done with the new-media tools of today.
In my initial research, the work of Munch, Matisse, and Picasso are informing my process: Munch's ability to capture mood and psychological states, Matisse's use of color and shape, and Picasso's ability to create a visual poetry. They all have the ability to see the world through their own thick lens of expression, and that is something I aspire to.

I shot this video to see if this idea could work, and to test some video and audio tools.




After creating the video, I see that I want to add a symbolic element to accompany the human form. For example, in this video, I feel that his Rage is a symptom of his human spirit being repressed by technology, so I want to add a swirling web of wires and electronics that the face could slowly burst out of:
Week 3: Shoot Test footage, and finalize Concept for Piece
Week 4: Storyboard Piece, and Schedule equipment/actors
Week 5: Shoot Content for RAGE
Week 6: Shoot Content for ISOLATION, Plan Audio Components
Week 7: Shoot Content for FEAR
Week 8: Shoot Content for FREEDOM, Audio Recording
Week 9-10: Pick-up Audio/Video, Post-Production

No comments:

Post a Comment